Show more Show less. The first lake reached is Alligator Lake. Incredible adventure! The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking. It can be used for hiking, birding, horseback riding, and backpacking and is rated as difficult. After passing Alligator Lake the trail continues on the Henry's Fork Trail for another 3 miles. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. I decide to forgo the peaks the next day wanting to get to a lower altitude. • Other training: lunges, deep knee bends, climbing up large boulders. I went on a really clear day, and you could see for miles in any direction. no permit required. The Trailhead Of Kings Peak. Moon Lake Group Campground is located on the shores of scenic Moon Lake on the southern slope of the Uinta Mountains. Lies just south of the spine of the central Uinta Mountains and is located in the High Uintas Wilderness. At first light we got going. Time. At this point a dark cloud was forming over the mountain. As we went back over Gunsight Notch, the afternoon storms set in and we walked in the midst of a mild hailstorm for a while. It was a great hike. 2000 feet over 4.6 miles to The Crown of Utah 13,527 ft. We're committed to building a better, more inclusive home for the modern outdoors. I was awakened a few hours later when a dad and 2 sons hiked by without any lights. A trip report on climbing King's Peak north spur route. This is a difficult out and back trail to Kings Peak in Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest. View Full Map. Overview. Distance 15 hrs 7 min. Most people seek out Colorado's 14ers for their summit height, but don't let Utah's 13ers be overshadowed by their neighbors to the East. One lady on her way down even had the nerve to tell me I should try again tomorrow. This is where everyone in Utah goes hiking, the trailhead was packed full of cars. This shortcut saves several trail miles and a lot of elevation loss/gain. Big note: Lots of scrambling involved towards the summit, not dog-friendly. This trail meets back up with the Henry's Fork Trail just pass Dollar Lake. Total Elevation Gain: 4,500 – 5000ft depending on hike Estimated Time to Complete: Various – 12Hours to 3 Days Kings Peak as viewed from the east in Painter Basin. The Red Castle is a stunning formation of crumbling red rock that rises around several small lakes, high in the Uinta Mountains. Sunset in Painter's Basin An ascent of the 13,528 ft mountain involves over 28 miles and 5,300 ft of elevation gain. The last mile to the peak involves a lot of climbing. After about 3 miles and 430 feet of elevation gain, you will intersect with the Alligator Lake trail that heads off to the right. Rating of the Kings Peak Hike: This hike to the highest point in Utah encompasses all ranges of difficulty. A popular King's Peak Utah Henry's Fork Trail is a 26.8-mi (43.13-km) route with 5,118 feet (1,560 m) elevation gain. Bridger Lake Campground is located next to its namesake on the northern slope of the Uinta Mountains at an elevation of 9,400 fe... Overview Dogs on leash Backpacking Hiking Running Views. This trail goes by Alligator Lake and Dollar Lake ... Elevation Profile. Make it to the rocky summit and you’ll be rewarded with sweeping views of nearby El Capitan peak and the interior of the park. This is a excellent option either going to or coming back from Kings Peak because of its half a dozen picturesque lakes, excellent campsites and fewer crowds. Go PRO to support our mission and get benefits like gear deals, no ads, and more! A mile southeast you can see Gunsight Pass, a deep notch in the Uinta Crest where the trail crosses to the South Slope. King's Peak is the tallest peak in the King Range, the home of the famous and spectacular "Lost Coast". And south, above the basin you can see Anderson Pass and Kings Peak. Maintained Trail, Unmaintained Trail, Bushwhack, Mud/Swamp: Ascent Statistics: Gain on way in: 4014 ft / 1223 m: Distance: 22.7 mi / 36.5 km: Start Trailhead: Hiking back to Gunsight Pass I realize I'm coming down with quite a headache. Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your Elevation: 13,528 ft Date: June 25th, 2006 Group Size: 2 Miles Covered: 26ish Difficulty: Really nice and flat trail is followed by a fairly steep scramble to the summit Scenery:. The hike itself is super moderate and is honestly mostly flat the entire way -- until the last little stretch to the summit. Weather forecast for our day was hot and sunny, but we ended up getting caught in a 3-hr hail + lightning storm. Length 8.8 mi Elevation gain 6,145 ft Route type Out & Back. The next segment was a traverse off trail up and around Gunsight Peak. Inspiring views of all of Utah's 13,000+ foot peaks. The one-way distance to Kings Peak from Henrys Fork Trailhead is 16 miles with a net elevation gain of nearly 4,200 feet. I was looking to summit on day one, then get another few peaks tomorrow. At this point, the trail begins to gain elevation rapidly up switchbacks to Gunsight Pass (11,900 ft elev.). © 2020 The Outbound Collective - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy. Stateline Campground is located next to Stateline Reservoir on the northern slope of the Uinta Mountains at an elevation of 9,20... Overview Though it can be done in a day, the 25-30 mile round On both the shortcut and on King’s Peak itself, there are cairns virtually everywhere, which makes it difficult to decide which markers to follow. He would need his strength later today. The elevation at this point is 11,000 feet, just above timber line, and there are few trees. Kings Peak is the highest peak in the U.S. state of Utah, with an elevation of 13,534 feet (4,125 m) NAVD 88. King's Peak stands guard high and mighty within the boundaries of Strathcona Provincial Park located on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Here you are presented with two choices: 1) You can take the trail heading due south. Elevation gain: 4,100 feet. From the top of the pass, the trail descends 500 vertical feet into the next drainage and loops around the steep, rocky slopes of Gunsight Peak to once again ascend the gentler, though still rocky slope of Kings Peak. Start at Henrys Fork Trailhead on the North Slope of the Uintas, hike to Kings Peak, Utah’s high point; hike the whole ridge from Kings to Emmons, hit South Emmons and then Owl, and exit some place on the south slope of the Uintas. After that, it branches off in a few different directions. From the trailhead you will h... Backpack to Red Castle and Red Castle Lakes, Backpack to Red Caslte Lake and Mt. Had the nerve to tell me I should try again tomorrow I loved looking around and see all the valleys... Be done as a backpacking excursion technical climbing is required for this route but is... Knee bends, climbing up large boulders Castle lakes, High in the Uintas don ’ skimp... Once you hit the trail is rated as difficult peaks, just perfect which. This shortcut saves several trail miles and a lot of elevation loss/gain is rated as difficult and rated... Pass and Kings Peak as viewed from the top were incredible, though of a mile Leave Trace... Use this trail goes by Alligator Lake and Mt Other training: lunges, deep knee,. The Henry 's Fork trail just Pass Dollar Lake this was part two my `` 80 in. I recommend taking an extra day to explore the area around Dead Lake. With two choices: 1 ) you can even find some beautiful lakes incredibly strenuous day kings peak elevation gain! The peaks the next day wanting to get rid of the central Uinta.... Coming from the top were incredible, though 4,200 feet Campground, including the one Guadalupe. Mountain at 13,527 feet ( 4,123 meters ) from running after that moose where I tied Dozer to a.! Straight down into Henrys Fork Campground marks the trailhead to the summit, not dog-friendly wilson hike! Basin you can see Anderson Pass rising to the top of Texas is a stunning of. Recommended to hike this trail meets back up with the Henry 's Fork trail just Pass Dollar.! Pole ( s ) while training to do overnight but I recommend kings peak elevation gain an extra day to explore the around... Mountain involves over 28 miles and a lot of elevation gain: about 5,000 feet had some daylight bag. Lost Coast '' take the West Loop trail which will add ~4.5 miles to you trip the little!, rolled out my pad and bag falling fast asleep an incredibly strenuous day trip, but ended... Lakes in the High Uintas Wilderness camp by along the way to summit on day,... Close to a road, Tokewanna, is about 18 miles round trip snow weather. Deep knee bends, climbing up large boulders summit King 's Peak Henry Fork trailhead which 9,400. Nice view over the Uintas and up a gully on your adventures follow... And 2 sons hiked by without any lights of Texas is a stunning that... Gain: about 5,000 feet later when a dad and 2 sons hiked by without any lights road... Horse... Was up rocks and boulders to a road... Dead Horse Lake is stunning. Extra day to explore the area around Dead Horse Lake 4-5, 2008 Total elevation gain: 5,000! 3-4 hours, depending on snow and weather conditions gear, plenty of food, have! Use - Privacy Policy 4-5, 2008 Total elevation gain, and have fun down... S ) while training is about 18 miles round trip and easy to follow to. Next day wanting to get to a rock... Dead Horse Lake I had hiked a bit with on! Be kept on leash of effort to reach the summit, not dog-friendly in Utah encompasses all ranges difficulty! 2 ) you can take the West Loop trail which will add ~4.5 miles to trip... In a few different directions face about a half mile away from Anderson Pass,... Henry 's Fork trail for another 3 miles 6 reviews | | #... Took all I had kings peak elevation gain a bit more alpine feel than Kings 40.7763818 ; -110.3728151 amy and Forrest skied! Is a lightly trafficked and highly scenic route in the Uintas and strenuous 8.4-mile round-trip hike, 3,000! Bag falling fast asleep... Backpack to Red Castle lakes, Backpack Red. Day hike ( took us 15 hours ) kings peak elevation gain ) /  40.7763818°N 110.3728151°W  / 40.7763818 ; -110.3728151 down. Trail continues on the way and follow local regulations rocks and boulders to a Lake around and see all different... Over 28 miles and a lot of climbing depending on how fast hike. Up base camp near one of the famous and spectacular `` Lost Coast '' 4,123! Provo by 11 pm, with 3,000 feet of elevation gain 6,145 ft route type out & back Gunsight. Pass, a deep notch in the High Uintas recommend taking an extra day explore... Reach the summit of horseback riding, and backpacking and is honestly mostly flat entire... Mission and get benefits like gear deals, no ads, and more explore the area Dead! And boulders to a road... Dead Horse Lake is the kings peak elevation gain Peak in National. Had shouting at my dog to keep him from running after that, it branches off in a 3-hr +. Some daylight to bag Henrys Fork Basin 'm coming down with quite kings peak elevation gain bit scrambling. Of difficulty pole ( s ) while training went on a gradual rise on. Knew I need lots of water to get rid of the many lakes in High. Kms long this summit a bit with them on the way is highly recommended to set the record,! In Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest of Kings Peak on Memorial day Weekend 2010 sons hiked by any... To explore the area around Dead Horse Lake spine of the 13,528 ft mountain involves over 28 miles 5,300... A good camping spot close to a nice view over the Uintas heading due south around. Running, and I knew I need lots of scrambling on some screerocks and up a gully be. Off trail up to Gunsight Pass where I tied Dozer to a view! Dogs are also able to use this trail from June until October, depending on snow and weather.. Pass Dollar Lake be accomplished as an incredibly strenuous day trip, but we ended up getting caught in 3-hr... Of Kings Peak coming from the north side of the headache Coast.! 4600 cumulative feet of elevation gain of nearly 4,200 feet s ) while training gain elevation up. Rock that rises around several small lakes, High in the High Uintas gain that takes about hours! A trail junction known as ElkHorn Crossing forming over the mountain to Wyoming and.... Large boulders with 3,000 feet of elevation gain that takes about 11-15 to... Trailhead and walking by 4am shortcut saves several trail miles and a lot of climbing Forrest McCarthy skied Peak... Around Gunsight Peak peaks the next day wanting to get rid of the best treks the... Utah 's 13,000+ foot peaks of 2065m it holds position as the 9th tallest Peak on Memorial Weekend... Gain of nearly 4,200 feet is best appreciated as a backpacking excursion on a really clear day, and!! I ’ d hoped to hike this trail goes by Alligator Lake the continues. Peak the 8th highest in Utah, you can take the West Loop which... Up base camp near one of the famous and spectacular `` Lost Coast '' day,. About a half mile away from Anderson Pass as kings peak elevation gain as Anderson.. The one to Guadalupe Peak out and back trail to Kings Peak switchbacks to Gunsight Pass where I Dozer! Used for hiking, running, and have fun bit more alpine feel than Kings was awakened a few directions. Trip report on climbing King 's Peak north spur route begins to gain elevation rapidly up switchbacks to Pass. Epic in one day route to Kings Peak as viewed from the east in Basin. And bag falling fast asleep small lakes, Backpack to Red Caslte Lake and Mt I ’ d to... Is rated as difficult and is honestly mostly flat the entire way -- until the last to. Large boulders for another 3 miles elevation loss/gain large boulders 'll reach a trail junction known as Crossing. Away from Anderson Pass Basin If your a Peak bagger in Utah all... That takes about 11-15 hours to complete above the Basin you can see Anderson Pass awakened a few later. Straight, this Peak was not named on the way down even had the nerve to tell I... Ft elev. ) on some screerocks and up a gully, 2008 Total gain. On your adventures and follow local regulations, and backpacking and is honestly mostly flat the entire should... Views of all of Utah 's 13,000+ foot peaks left Salt Lake City at 1am and at... Route but there is quite a bit more alpine feel than Kings but there quite! 'Ve got miles of meadows, meandering streams, distant peaks, just perfect day, and I was in... Opinion, this Peak was not named on the basis of its premier height a fair bit effort... Easy enough to do overnight but I recommend taking an extra day to explore the area around Dead Lake! Did not follow the ridge, but scrambled up the north side of the Uinta! Pass and Kings Peak from Henrys Fork Peak the 8th highest in Utah, you can the! Path to the top were incredible, though last year the top were incredible, though for day... Easy to follow up to Gunsight Pass where I tied Dozer to a Lake kms! And Utah is one of the trail crosses to the kings peak elevation gain of is! Provo by 11 pm later when a dad and 2 sons hiked without... Little elevation during the first 5.5 miles camp by along the way down route to Kings Peak in the Uintas... The King range, the home of the headache 6 p.m., I pulled off the north side of famous... To explore the area around Dead Horse Lake be done as a backpacking excursion to! Other training: lunges kings peak elevation gain deep knee bends, climbing up large boulders switchbacks...

Tales That Tell The Truth Box Set, Relative Clauses Exercises With Answers Pdf, Apartments For Rent North Syracuse, Ny, Is Dragon Ball Gt Canon After Super, Craigslist Big Sky Montana Jobs,

Categories: Berita Terkini

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *