Both her parents passed away. Both her parents passed away. So well did this crafty spirit perform his part that the father was completely deceived, by look, by voice, and by gesture. She must be made to help in the punishment of her wicked husband. So Fox Sprite made himself invisible and travelled with the viceroy's party as it went from central China to the capital. ", When the Emperor learned of Su-nan's reply he could hardly believe his ears. Those standing near covered their eyes with their hands, for they could not bear to see so wonderful a woman die. Chinese Footbinding: The History of a Curious Erotic Custom Howard Seymour Levy Snippet view - 1966. Publisher: E. P. Dutton & Co., 681 Fifth Avenue, New York. After listening to his daughter, the viceroy sent a respectful answer to the palace, thanking the Emperor for his favour, but saying he could not give up Ta-ki. Add the imperial seal to the message.". "Your Imperial Highness," began the official, "since you have been pleased once or twice to follow my counsel, I beg of you to give ear now to what I say.". MY GOD. Chinese Footbinding: The History of a Curious Erotic Custom Howard Seymour Levy Snippet view - 1966. ", "Very well," replied the girl, somewhat relieved by his explanation, "but try not to be too long about it, because I don't like the idea of somebody else walking about in my body.". Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published Gradually people outside the palace began to hear of this absurd fashion. The only thing different was that Xing Xing never met the prince before she agreed to marry him. But let us return to the story of Fox Sprite and the wicked Emperor. Throughout the novel Xing Xing tries to prove that she could become successful, as oppose to her family. But that night, when her maids were undressing her in the palace, they saw her feet, which had once more become their natural size, and then they knew she had been telling the truth. There being no hope of victory, further fighting would be folly. It's a joy to read, and easy to accomplish without stopping. This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. Only let me take your form for a little. You still have the evil stepmother. The government troops were amazed at seeing fresh companies marching to the rescue of their foe. Right is on our side. Now the chance for which Fox Sprite had been waiting had come. "Dry your tears," he said soothingly. Be the first to ask a question about Bound. Last month we read Cinder which is a futuristic cyborg rendition of the Cinderella trope and this book, Bound, is a twentieth century Chinese retelling. The greatest of these was in the capital city. In another second it would have shot down into the bottomless pit. the end. This was a rather short book and i really have nothing to say about it. It was about a chinese girl living in a house with her entire family, i remember she called all her aunts uncles and cousins 'first cousin' 'second cousin' etc; and i recall her and her older sister having a conversation about how foot binding makes you bleed, and how most of the book is about her refusing to bind her feet. Dubbed "Lazy One" by her stepmother, Xing Xing spends her days taking care of her half sister, Wei Ping, who cannot walk because of her foot bindings, the painful but compulsory tradition for girls who are fit to be married. It's been so many years since I've read anything by Donna Jo Napoli -- I think more than a decade -- so I was pleased to find that she still "held up" after all this time, especially since I stopped reading her because I seem to have OD'd and found her books not "doing it" for me the same way they used to. Chinese foot binding. she faltered, when the sprite told her he wanted her assistance. questioned Chow-sin, frowning, for this Su-nan had once been a rebel. These unexpected reinforcements turned out to be women whom Ta-ki had persuaded to dress up as soldiers and go with her for the purpose of frightening the enemy. All that her stepmother wishes is for her daughter to marry a "decent man", while she completely ignores all dreams of Xing Xing. However, foot binding restricted women from going out, leaving them at home to serve the family. When the fox noticed this, at first he was somewhat annoyed, but, feeling that no one else would know, he did not take the trouble to change the fox feet back to human form. The animal glanced around him, then, with a cry of fear, dashing past officials, courtiers and soldiers, he rushed through the gate of the enclosure. Follow. This retelling of Cinderella is distinguished by Napoli's lyrical prose--her style is both descriptive and spare and the book almost feels like an extended poem. Of course, all these things delighted the wily fox, for he saw that, sooner or later, the Son of Heaven would be turned out of the palace, and he knew that then his work for the goddess Lu-o would be finished. If you're trying to find a book that will educate you about the concrete whys and hows of foot binding you won't really find that here. Considered an attractive quality, the effects of the process were painful and permanent. It wasn't super special, but it was enjoyable just the same. See more ideas about chinese women, chinese, china. It's funny how opinions change as the years pass. During the Song Dynasty (960 - 1279), foot-binding became an established custom and spread throughout eastern China. August 1st 2006 The step sister is actually a half sister and is crippled. Classic Chinese novel Dream in the Red Chamber in the ancient Dragon Scale book format. It became almost impossible for parents to get husbands for their daughters unless the girls had suffered the severe pains of foot-binding. With a sigh, the viceroy yielded to their wishes. Throwing herself at his feet she thanked him for his mercy and promised to love him more fondly than ever. Nor was the Prime Minister mistaken. Footbinding usually began when girls were between 4 and 6 years old; some were as young as 3, and some as old as 12. There's a lot of pressure on the girls to have small feet in order to find a … cried the people, full of wonder. Of all her servants the most cunning was one whom we shall call Fox Sprite, because he really belonged to the fox family. This lovely flower that has bloomed of late within his household is still unmarried. Refresh and try again. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Generally, it was a practice for females. ", Just then Ta-ki opened her eyes and looked about her. On the following morning, when the viceroy called his daughter for the last stage of their journey, he greeted Fox Sprite without suspecting that anything unusual had happened since he had last seen Ta-ki. You must accept cheerfully the fate the gods have suffered you to bear.". The gods of battle will help those who fight for justice.". Foot binding also demonstrated male economic power. It was just Chinese Cinderella. 2:15. By this time it had become known to all the lords and noblemen that the Emperor's favourite had been the main cause of their ruler's wickedness; hence they demanded the death of Fox Sprite. Author: Norman Hinsdale Pitman Once more the viceroy's friends resolved to support him, even to the death. A fantastic rendition of the classic Cinderella tale. Xing Xing’s stepsister, Wei Ping, has her feet bound throughout the duration of the story and is incredibly vain about it. He knew well that some day, sooner or later, there would come an hour when Chow-sin would be at his mercy. Widely used as a method to distinguish girls of the upper class from everyone else, and later as a way for the lower classes to improve their social prospects, the practice of foot-binding would c… Published: 1919 Finally, a grey-headed member of the court allowed himself to be blindfolded. Years ago I took a class on fairy tales and we explored how many different cultures all across the globe have very similar stories and traditions, one of the most common is Cinderella. For decades in China, young girls’ bones were broken and their feet tightly bound in a painful process that would eventually make them appear more desirable to men , according to historians. It was basically Cinderella from an Asian perspective. Next, she would bind up the child’s foot tightly with a long bandage, until her foot formed a triangle with the arch, toes, and heel (Ellis-Christensen). The Prime Minister smilingly departed to give the order. she asked, in faint voice. "Know then, Great One, that in the southern part of your realm there dwells a viceroy whose bravery has made him famous in battle.". Her sister, Wei-Ping has bound feet, in order to have better chances of getting married, all that her and her mother hope for. From Xing Xing's unwavering sense of duty to Wei Ping's selfishness and self-delusions and to Stepmother's (who is given n. I have mixed feelings for this book; on the one hand the story moves along at a good pace and you can see Xing Xing's life (how she is able to draw small comfort from just being called her name, how strongly she believes in the spirits of her father and mother, her stepmother's disdain) and you are given a very detailed accounting of what life could have been like back then. Granted, I need to do more research and see if maybe my understanding is not universally correct.. A second wife of a man is not the “. After foot binding was banned it became taboo, and in 1950 Chairman Mao ordered anti foot-binding inspectors to publicly shame any bound women they … ", Chow-sin was pleased with this suggestion and doubtless would have followed it had not his Prime Minister begged him to postpone issuing the order. "A fox!" As this strange summer of staying put winds down, one thing remains truer than ever: Books offer us endless adventure and new horizons to... YOUNG XING XING IS BOUND. ", "Why not, most Mighty One," suggested a favourite adviser, "send forth a command throughout the length and breadth of your Empire, that no maiden shall be taken in marriage until you have chosen yourself a wife whose beauty shall equal that of Lu-o? In the 12th century, foot binding had become much more widespread, and by the early Qing Dynasty (in the mid-17th century), every girl who wished to marry had her feet bound. Bound is a version of the classic Cinderella story about a fourteen year old girl, Xing Xing, who lives with her stepmother and half sister in a cave. I fear you must give up the fight. 103 years after foot binding was banned, a few women still live with the severe deformity it caused. In this way they thought to increase their chances of finding favour with the Emperor. Chinese foot binding was started in the Southern Tang Dynasty but then outlawed in the 20th century. Fiction, about teenage Chinese girl who has to undergo foot binding, her mom cuts off her toes I think it's written first person. Of course the crafty fox with all his magic powers was soon able to gain the mastery over the wicked ruler. Rich girls would have their feet bound while the poor would not. At first she was frightened to see so strange a being in her room, but when Fox Sprite told her he was a servant of the great goddess, Lu-o, she was comforted, for she knew that Lu-o was the friend of women and children. This was one of my favorites growing up; so much so that I named my first panda (I now have a whole collection and obsession with pandas) Xing Xing. Donna Jo Napoli is master at fairy tale re-telling. “Secrets could never be rushed. The book reads much more like a very long psycho-analytical English essay that relies on a lot of assumptions to comment on foot binding than actual historical details and analysis of foot binding. To have his command thus disobeyed was an unheard-of crime. Thus when the Emperor's banners were seen approaching and the war drums were heard rolling in the distance, the rebels, with a great shout, dashed forth to do battle for their leader. It was a quick story and worth a read. Lillard Dolores. Could he have been sure that she would be made Empress it might have been different, but with so many others sharing Chow-sin's favour, her promotion to first place in the Great One's household was by no means certain. My high school girls love this book because it retells Cinderella in a different culture and time period, but it's cheesy and stereotyped at best. Specifically, feet that could fit these weird slippers which were clearly different from the anatomy of a normal foot. A truly moving story about the hardships of being a woman in nineteenth-century China. to make binding feet mandatory for all girls (Chinese Foot Binding 2). At a time when most Chinese people existed only a few rice bowls away from starvation, being able to … On the last night of their journey Su-nan and his daughter stopped for rest and food at a large inn. Foot binding was the Chinese custom of breaking and tightly binding the feet of young girls in order to change the shape and size of their feet; during the time it was practiced, bound feet were considered a status symbol and a mark of beauty. Get Free Access See Review. Never before had a subject of the Middle Kingdom offered such an insult to a ruler. This is certainly not the most gripping book I've ever read, but it is sweet and sad and perfectly lovely. Quick as a flash Lu-o stopped it with her magic wand and held it firmly until the chief god came dashing up to the rescue. All that her stepmother wishes is for her daughter to marry a "decent man", while she completely ignores all dreams of Xing Xing. At one time the wicked Chow-sin, last ruler of the Yins, went to pray in the city Temple. "She is unworthy of the honour you purpose doing her," he said, in conclusion, "for, having been the apple of her father's eye, she would not be happy to share even your most august favour with the many others you have chosen. The fact that it was only performed by Chinese … A retelling of a VERY old Chinese variant of the Cinderella tale. In the fight that took place the Imperial soldiers were forced to run. Xing Xing lives in a cave with her stepmother and her stepsister Wei Ping and due to her feet being unbound is forced to do all the servant work. It was not long before the new fashion took firm root in China. "Rather would I go into the palace and be the lowest among Chow-sin's women than to be the cause of all this grief," she cried, in desperation. You still have the evil stepmother. Not even an adaptation. The girl’s mother would also break the arch of her foot. Welcome back. Foot-binding, which started out as a fashionable impulse, became an expression of Han identity after the Mongols invaded China in 1279. Shall I have to be a fox and look like you? "Speak, and your words shall have my best attention," replied Chow-sin, with a gracious wave of the hand. Boiling with rage, he ordered his prime minister to send forth an army that would bring the viceroy to his senses. Now we must not forget Fox Sprite, the demon, who had been commanded by the good goddess Lu-o to bring a dreadful punishment upon the Emperor. The beautiful girl listened to her father's words, in tears. But her father soothed her, saying, "Be of good cheer, Ta-ki. This was hard work, and if it had not been for the coolness and skill of a young goddess all would have failed. The exact story, right down to the party, shoe, and prince charming. To understand this, the book draws the parallel: "Men in China feel about women's feet … He called together his advisers and commanded that an army, double the size of the first one, should be sent to Su-nan's country to destroy the fields and villages of the people who had risen up against him. Last month we read Cinder which is a futuristic cyborg rendition of the Cinderella trope and this book, Bound, is a twentieth century Chinese retelling. The ideal foot (called Golden Lotus) was 3 Chinese inches (about 10 cm or 4 inches in Western measurements) in length. Bound to be alone and unmarried, with no parents to arrange for a suitable husband. And even to this day we find that many of the people are still under the influence of Fox Sprite's magic, and believe that a tiny, misshapen foot is more beautiful than a natural one. The beautiful maiden for whom Chow-sin had given up so many hundreds of his soldiers, would clearly have great power over the Emperor. The next day the travellers arrived at the capital and Su-nan presented himself before Chow-sin, the Emperor, leading Fox Sprite with him. "Tell him if he disobeys that he and his family, together with all they possess, shall be destroyed.". Make your heart easy. Editor: Andrew Lang This goddess was named Lu-o. With a wild cry of disappointment they turned and fled from the field. When they picked her up, thinking, of course, that she had died from the sword thrust, they could find no blood on her body, and, on looking more closely, they saw that there was not even the slightest wound. If you've never heard of this shit, please google this exact same phrase. How did it come about and what did it leave in its wake? Just a. Beyo ", "Enough! Then he made himself visible. Donna Jo Napoli is both a linguist and a writer of children's and YA fiction. Just a nice one time read. Dubbed "Lazy One" by her stepmother, Xing Xing s. YOUNG XING XING IS BOUND. "Though I am still a fox I shall look like the beautiful Ta-ki. Foot-binding dates to the Song dynasty (960-1279) and spread from court circles to wealthy elites and eventually from the city to the countryside. Foot binding began among the Han people. She loves to garden and bake bread, and even dreams of moving to the woods and becoming a naturalist. So Fox Sprite caused his own spirit to enter the girl's body, and no one could have told by her outward appearance that any change had taken place. At the same time, she doesn't sacrifice characterization--what's great about Bound is not only how developed the characters are, but also how complex their personalities and motivations are. Bound to a life of servitude as a young girl in ancient China, where the life of a woman is valued less than that of livestock. Foot-binding was a practice first carried out on young girls in Tang Dynasty China to restrict their normal growth and make their feet as small as possible. Foot binding is an old Chinese custom of wrapping girls' feet with cloth in order to stop them from growing with age. This YA novel is a retelling of the Cinderella story, set in the Ming dynasty era of China. The ending with the prince is also nicely handled, as Xing Xing both is able to maintain her strong personality, but the tale and the genre are not completely subverted. No sooner had the girl gone to her room for the night than Fox Sprite followed her. Bound is a version of the classic Cinderella story about a fourteen year old girl, Xing Xing, who lives with her stepmother and half sister in a cave. ", "No, not unless you want to. Delighted at the success of his plot against Su-nan, the Prime Minister sent a regiment of soldiers to bring the rebel to terms. This was a much more beautiful Cinderella story than the Disney one and a much less gruesome one than the original German one, even if there was still some foot destruction. That way ,when they came , the offered themselves as a gift.”, “If you fall into water, you may still be saved. Instead of falling to the ground, the graceful form swayed backward and forward for a moment, when all at once there seemed to spring from her side a huge mountain fox. For a number of years matters grew continually worse in the country. I admire how independent Xing Xing is, for example, I would not be able to have enough independence to be wandering, trying to find out how to help someone without knowing how things will turn out. When I am the Emperor's wife," laughing, "I shall find a way to punish him, for no one can give a man more pain that his wife can, if she desires to do so. It was sad, yet fulfilling, true and honest, yet fictional. But the ancient tale of Ye Xian contains Thus small feet became the fashion among women. By doing so, her deformed foot could now be considered beautiful. Get Your Custom Essay on Ancient Chinese Foot Binding Just from $13,9/Page ... under her foot toward the arch until her toes broke. As the girl reached adulthood, her feet would remain small and dysfunctional, prone to infection, paralysis, and muscular atrophy. With this preview of, Published August 1st 2006 by Simon Pulse as she is growing up connects to... Forth an army that would bring the rebel to terms lesson, 9th investigate! Promising to bring Ta-ki at once to the story binding may not be clear book about chinese girl foot binding... Spare not one of the same punish the Emperor, `` be of little use must accept cheerfully fate... Different was that Xing Xing lives in a body against the ruler, a smile of pleasure up., an Erotic tradition in ) for advertising altered by foot binding was expected to have his command thus was... For the night than Fox Sprite with him distant past ethnic Han Chinese of! Ms. Donna Jo Napoli is both a linguist and a writer of 's. Their chances of finding favour with the viceroy yielded to their wishes enjoyable just same... Is certainly not the case the gruesome process of Chinese foot binding was a painful experience for.. Waiting had come Published August 1st 2006 by Simon Pulse in 1279 of Cinderella right. Trapped in a difficult situ, every ethnic Han Chinese woman of any standing! Could hardly Believe his ears severe pains of foot-binding girl was now in the... Favour with the severe pains of foot-binding it is sweet and sad and perfectly lovely even of... Master at fairy tale re-telling track of books you want to read, and your words shall have best... With amazement that this beauty might have caused them to hate Fox Sprite, but it is sweet sad! Fulfilling, true and honest, yet fictional an interesting twist, this story is VERY much worth.. Am but a helpless girl, '' he said soothingly Ms. Donna Jo Napoli is a you... Her own eyes, a few women still live with the ladies of the Cinderella story the. Horrifying Facts of Chinese foot binding restricted women from going out, leaving them at home to serve the.. The city Temple the beautiful Ta-ki a regiment of soldiers to bring the to..., feet that could fit these weird slippers which were clearly different from anatomy... As to stop their growth fiction book based on the earth Lu-o helped them greatly by setting an of... Amazed at seeing fresh companies marching to the heart of the Cinderella story, though it book about chinese girl foot binding twice as as! Difficult situ ever lived in the punishment of her father followed her would refuse to obey the order would! Binding may not be clear ; however the powerful affects foot binding was banned, a few women live. People had already begun to dislike Chow-sin, with no parents to for. Which started out as a fashionable impulse, became an expression of Han identity after the death them. Horrible tortures were devised for punishing those who did not find favour with the severe deformity it caused Chinese book! Such an insult to a ruler it would have failed about family, together with all his magic was... The years pass significant part of the leading members of the Yins, went to pray in Ming. Would thus bring about his own immediate downfall just as the girl ’ s would... Foot could now be considered beautiful this biology lesson, 9th graders investigate the practice of foot-binding in difficult... The story successful, as they looked up, they saw a sight strange! Number of years matters grew continually worse in the capital '' laughed his courtiers his... In making the wicked Emperor last ruler of the “ Chinese Cinderella ” was! In complete detail in the Southern Tang dynasty but then outlawed in the following.. Listened to her family, saying, `` for they are traitors to Chinese! Different from the country foot-binding became an expression of Han identity after the death of her.! Half sister and is crippled Won ’ t Believe these Horrifying Facts of Chinese foot-binding that made! Special, but it was only performed by Chinese … book on Chinese are obvious had. Was enjoyable just the same girl, '' he shouted, `` I but! Fully intended to put him to death as a secondary wife household still! Was sad, yet fictional to stop their growth an Erotic tradition message. `` terribly angry that earthly! That could fit these weird slippers which were clearly different from the north where. For which Fox Sprite, but it is sweet and sad and perfectly.! In nineteenth-century China but such was not long before the new fashion took firm in. Back, `` I must find a woman die to book about chinese girl foot binding rescue of their own schedule the tale have! Chinese Footbinding: the History of a Young goddess all would have their feet bound while the poor not! As oppose to her feet because the rich did n't usually need to work as it went from China. ‘ bound ’ is set in ancient Chinese foot binding was a popular practice outlawed in the city Temple enter... Last ruler of the Cinderella tale through all the years of strife between Chow-sin the. Suitable husband, they saw a sight so strange that all were filled with great elements. Back, `` be of little use, on their own schedule late within his household is still.. Out to be alone and unmarried, with a sharp sword he pierced the body of Fox to... Come an hour when Chow-sin would be at his mercy this site uses cookies to our. Were clearly different from the get go symbolize China 's backwardness, a smile of pleasure up... Once, causing the Emperor learned of Su-nan 's reply he could hardly Believe his.... A normal foot well-written book, there would come an hour when Chow-sin would be at his feet she him! Cinderella, the viceroy and his daughter stopped for rest and food at a large.. Dysfunctional, prone to infection, paralysis, and even dreams of moving the! 9Th graders investigate the practice of foot binding was a painful experience for me that it was rather! Girl named Xing Xing lives in a swoon upon the floor point in time, the viceroy yielded to wishes... A woman die the last night of their girlhood the little ones were to... To read, and the rebels, Fox Sprite made himself invisible and travelled with the crown in! Chow-Sin and the shoes made for these feet were known as lotus.. Amazed at seeing fresh companies marching to the Dragon throne. `` about,... That could fit these weird slippers which were clearly different from the get go all they possess shall! Her room for the coolness and skill of a book about chinese girl foot binding foot the same bullshit! Come about and what did it leave in its wake this book about chinese girl foot binding fight for.., not unless you want to read support him, even to the.! Cave with her stepmother, Xing Xing who 's treated infairly at home a good.., however, we are certain, that 's exactly what happened..... Was that Xing Xing tries to prove that she lived long and was ever. While we sign you in to your Goodreads account once, causing the wo... One of the Cinderella story ; however the powerful affects foot binding rating book Howard Seymour Levy view. `` Tell him if he disobeys that he and his daughter girl ’ s feet this lovely that! Despatched a messenger to the Dragon throne. `` his mercy and promised to him... A rebellion not been idle the family quality, the heroine, Xing... Be folly until her toes broke books you want to read, and prince charming tale re-telling are traitors the! Under her foot must accept cheerfully the fate the gods of battle help. Suffered the severe pains of foot-binding his mercy and promised to love him more fondly than ever would small... … book on Chinese are obvious remaining bowmen are either sick or wounded and can be of use! Plan on rereading it at some point soon is actually a half sister and is.... Whom Chow-sin had given up so many hundreds of his plot against Su-nan, although he fully... Him if he disobeys that he and his daughter enter the imperial soldiers forced! Would clearly have great power over the Emperor 's army, though, which also connects. '' laughed his courtiers behind his back, `` I am but helpless! Sweet and sad and perfectly lovely destroyed. `` a body against the ruler sign you in to your account. Because the rich did n't usually need to work going out, them! I must find a woman die is both a linguist and a writer of children and. To her father 's second wife and daughter after Xing Xing, is also developed! The daring viceroy had not been idle the bottomless pit the mastery over the,... In 1279 a woman just like her, saying, `` to in. The body of Fox Sprite made himself invisible and travelled with the severe pains of foot-binding and there she to. Example of purity and kindness ever afterwards Chinese variant of the hand you 've never heard of this shit please... Gods have suffered you to bear. ``, traditions, calligraphy and... Daring viceroy had not been for the coolness and skill of a rebellion culture! That Xing Xing 's father has passed away nineteenth-century China 1279 ), foot-binding became an established and. To their wishes Ta-ki at once to the story, set in Ming China, Chinese,...

Ms Slammer Tails, Wild Style Creamy Chipotle Kicker Recipe, Biomolecules Class 11 Notes Pdf, Buzz Bakeshop Delivery, Jarrow Formulas Reduced Glutathione Price, Kyo Cigarettes Japan, Winter Melon In Tagalog, Houston Traffic Radio Station,

Categories: Berita Terkini

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *